Wednesday, July 14, 2010

my dad

so... yesterday was the 1 year anniversary of my dad donating his kidney. time flies... i wouldn't have even realized it if it hadn't been for my mom saying something about it in her facebook status.
that's partially because of the way my dad is. believe me... he's been through a lot since he had that surgery. but i probably wouldn't have known anything about it if my mom hadn't made him tell me, or just told me herself. apparently kidneys are kinda important... who knew? anyway... my dad is not one to bring attention to himself or tell you when something's wrong with him. so when his lone remaining kidney decided to crap out on him, he just passed it off like some minor little thing. it wasn't until my mom and david started worrying that i realized that it was a bigger deal than my dad was letting on. (seriously... i have no idea how bodies work or what kidneys do. well... now i kinda do, but not then. anyway...) but, in true my dad fashion, he kept the faith that God had everything in control. and he was obviously right. looking back, and even in the moments that things were happening, it is/was so clear that God had (and still has) everything in control. first, the doctor just so happened to be in my dad's mens' group at church. my parents didn't know this when they scheduled his appointment, and they even passed up on a sooner appointment with a different doctor to wait a month and see this one. awesome! and when all his numbers (don't ask me what they are or what they mean... i don't actually know. i know they're important though.) were not doing what they were supposed to do, it was scary. but he was covered in prayer, and when he went back for his last appointment a few months ago, the number that was the most worrisome had gone down! praise God! and the thing i love most about my dad is that he didn't attribute that to his change in habits (which i'm pretty sure he actually didn't do) or the good doctors (who actually couldn't have done anything), but he gives all the glory to God. and that's the way he lives his life. basically, my dad is awesome. and he's golden :)
so thanks for who you are, dad. and thanks for helping me and inspiring me to be who i am.

i love you

2 comments:

mom said...

ahhhhhhh:)

Dana Marie said...

AUGH! I love this picture! yall are freakin fantastic!