Thursday, August 19, 2010

first impressions..

so i have a post about uganda that i started in the airport... but it's not done yet.
so here are my first impressions of korea so far:
it's hot. and humid. today we walked around the little area of seoul that we are in and i wanted to punch someone then go hug an air conditioner. i may be a little screwed living on jeju... but it's ok. i'll get used to it.
the people are really nice... i've mostly just been around other teachers and the EPIK staff, so i don't really have a real impression yet, but everyone so far has been pretty wonderful.
here's a funny story that happened today:
in our class we had to tell a little bit about ourselves, including our guilty pleasure (for those of you who were wondering, celebrity gossip and glee were said before it came to me, so i said pop music and told them i went to the backstreet boys concert... i don't feel guilty about it, but it works haha!) so anyway... one girl was like "i don't really have any guilty pleasures, but i have a guilty secret. can i share that?" when they said yes, she proceeded to say, "i secretly got married the night before i came here." HA! what?! who says that?! we all laughed, because it was funny. she was pretty serious though.
then the lady who is in charge of our class, a korean woman named yuna, was put on the spot to share hers. here it is (a little bit condensed): "ok, so i have a boyfriend. in korea, women my age... late 20s and early 30s... are supposed to find husbands. so my parents set me up on a blind date with this man with that in mind. and he's really nice. but he's about the same height as me, and i don't know how i feel about that." HAHA! that was her guilty pleasure. she's precious...
ok, so those are the things that have happened so far. i don't have any pictures... sorry. i'll take some when we start doing stuff, but right now there's really not a lot to see.
if you think about it, please pray for me to continue to stay healthy, to pick up on things quickly, and to trust that God is going to put me wherever i'm supposed to be (i have a preference, but i'm really trying to not get my hopes up about it because i know that there is a good chance i won't be there, and i want to have a positive attitude if i don't).
i love you and miss you all! i'll try and update soon!

3 comments:

Lauren said...

two things: one, you're awesome and good luck! And two: I just saw you had my blog labeled "childhood best friend" on your sidebar. Melted my heart:)

mom said...

praying really hard (with my face squenched and eyes closed)(jk)that Gods perfect will falls in line with your heart's desire. I love you, Mom
p.s.
Thanks for the note and the book--daddy found it--I can't go in your room! My chest hurt when I cracked the door yesterday. Guess I will have to wait to be mad at you for the mess you left!;)

aunt laurie said...

I have been thinking about you lots! i hope you are finding lots to laugh about. our korean car is a constant reminder of where you are...
I will be looking forward to your blogs!
I love you kailey...
Aunt Laurie