Sunday, August 29, 2010

work

so right now i'm in my school... sinchon elementary school, right outside of jeju-si. there are no students, and i actually don't have to be here right now, which is why i don't feel bad blogging. tomorrow is my first day at my other school, jocheon middle school, and i actually have to do a lesson! really all i have to do is introduce myself and play games, but it's still intimidating!
anyway... i haven't seen that school yet, but if it's half as nice as this one it's going to be great!
can i just say that i think there is a reason korea is rising so quickly in the world, and it's because of their education system. i've only been here for like 10 days, but it's already very evident that they put a lot into education. on top of the massive amount that is just put into bringing native english teachers here, they clearly place a high priority on keeping the schools up to date and nice. maybe it's just this one, but it is honestly the nicest elementary school i've ever been in. it's gorgeous. it actually looks like it would fit right in in colorado... lots of wood everywhere, but still really bright. and the classrooms are really modern and colorful. and i have a smartboard! i don't know how to use it, but i have it! it's just really nice. and all the people i've met so far have been great... my co-teacher, mi ri, is awesome. she's really young and fun, but really dedicated to the school and doing a good job. also... this is the coolest... i get to wear slippers all day! i had heard about that before i came, but i didn't know whether to believe it or not. but it's true! when you come in the school, you drop off your shoes and put on a pair of slippers. they're super comfy and awesome, and everyone has them! haha... it's awesome. plus then the school is way cleaner because people aren't tracking in all their crap from outside. really, koreans do some things so much better than we do in america.
anyway... i'm excited to get students. also a little nervous, but i think once i do just a couple days i'll be good to go. it's going to be hard work, but it'll be good :)
tonight i'm going to dinner (at an eel restaurant!) with all my coworkers... including the principal and vice principal. by "dinner" i mean we will eat and drink a lot of beer and soju. also apparently the wine and whiskey i gave the principal and vice principal. oh gosh.
**right after that stuff was written my co-teacher came to take me to meet the principal. cue the most awkward 5 minutes of my life**
right after we walked in and i gave him his gift (crown... keeping it classy.), mi ri (my co-teacher) left to get us all some water. my principal speaks no english. and i have no idea how much i'm supposed to try to talk to him because of the whole heirarchy thing. so we sat in awkward silence for a long time. but don't worry because when mi ri came back, he told her he thought i was "pretty and beautiful"(her translation) and he's excited to show off his gift at dinner tonight. whew! this should be interesting, considering my first day at the other school is tomorrow and i actually have to do stuff. eek!
anyway... i promise i'll put up pictures and stuff once i have my own internet. and the uganda post is done... i just haven't been able to upload the pictures to go with it.
but i should have it soon and there will be lots to come.
God is so good! He's reminding me more and more of that at every possible moment :)
i love and miss you all!
oh yea... and if you want my address my mom has it. or just ask me and i'll send it to you.

4 comments:

Lauren said...

I want your address! email me: laurenthomason3@gmail.com

Emilia said...

Kail!! Thats so exciting! Can you take pictures of your slippers? Good luck with your lesson tomorrow, I bet you'll do awesome. Are you playing Korean games or American get-to-know-you games? :) Love you! (And ps--the CDs you made me have been on repeat since I got them. Ob-sess-ed!)

mom said...

You my dearest are going to be so awesome....p.s don't get drunk and sleep with the principle(cause that would be so like you, haha)--I love you and cannot wait for the pics.....
p.p.s. How many coteachers to you have?

Dana Marie said...

OH MY GOSH BETH! hahahaha this is great Kailey, I'm so looking forward to reading all your adventures! love you!