Sunday, November 21, 2010

fighting!!

so... today was the 10k! i was originally registered for the half marathon but when i looked at my training schedule a couple weeks ago and saw that i had not run AT ALL, i decided to change. and i'm glad i did... there is no way i would have survived the half! i was pretty stoked on finishing the 10k! i have been sick for the last week, and i've barely been able to breathe sitting still because my nose is so stuffed up. so i was pretty worried about running. even this morning i really didn't feel like going, but i sucked it up and went and it was totally worth it! i didn't really do very well... i walked some (on hills... the whole second half was uphill! but i only walked part of it). my final time was 1:04:26. i'm okay with that... it's definitely not the best, but i wasn't last either, so it's good. it was so awesome... every time i would start to slow down an old korean man would come up beside me and say "keep running!" this happened like 4 different times with 4 different guys... everyone is always encouraging each other and pushing each other. it's so cool to see! one man ran beside me for a while to make me keep running, and eventually he turned to me and said (in very broken english) "when i run with you, i am not tired!" haha... i was slowing him down a lot. anyway... i finished and it was good. i definitely could have used some running leading up to it, but now i've learned my lesson.
and it was really fun! marathons in korea are so awesome. everyone is really energetic and they have concerts and all the old korean men make speeches in their funny way of talking... it's just amazing. plus, since i was a foreigner i got a box of oranges and a sweet book about jeju! here are some pictures... there weren't as many foreigners as last time but it was still fun. and i put the rest on facebook so they're not on here...

kelly and me... she came to jeju at the same time i did and lives in my building. i originally convinced her to do the half with me, then i stopped training. she still did it though!

had to get the crotchpunch picture. also i wore my same outfit from the half... :) (the sun was behind me... thus the glary spot on this one and the next one...)

box of oranges and a book... awesome! they love foreigners here.

and there it is... the 10k. wonderful :)
praise the Lord for healthy legs and a beautiful day!

2 comments:

mom said...

good for you--I am glad you had fun-and got a sweet book and some oranges--just in time for Thanksgiving! You can send me that book--it will make a great Christmas gift to me-hint,hint. Or you can just send an IOU and keep the book until I get there. thanks for the pics--i can't wait to meet the people of jeju!

Gwen and David said...

you ROCK kailey! good work with the 10k!! your stories of the old men are so encouraging:) you are too funny.