Thursday, January 21, 2010

ramblings

nothing really has happened to me for the last few days.
mostly because i have been sick... which sucks. seriously... the most sick i've been in a few years. i think i got food poisoning at golden corral... stupid breakfast buffet! but it was a good time to watch lots of tudors and be lazy and realize how much i appreciate being able to go out and do things.
and now i am all better, and it is great.
i finally got some groceries yesterday. i went to sunflower market, which is my favorite ever. so good... and so cheap! and i cleaned my room and flipped my mattress, which i never knew you were supposed to do until my roommate told me. i can't really tell a difference, but whatever.
today in chapel one of the best professors at ccu, sid buzzell, who is the dean of theology, spoke. i had him for my new testament class my sophomore year, and he is one of my favorite professors i've ever had.
anyway, today he talked about Proverbs 27:21 that says,

"the crucible is for silver, and the furnace is for gold, and a man is tested by his praise." (esv)
he talked about how praise can be translated as the praise a man gives, or the praise he receives (which a lot of translations say), but either way praise changes your whole life. one of the things he said was "look for the lovely, not the lousy." normally i don't really like little phrases like that, but i think that is just a really good way of simplifying the idea of living your life in a state of praise. that is something that i've been trying to do lately, which i think is why i appreciated his message so much. it's so easy to go through life being a cynic and only seeing the negative, but if you can just look for the good and the things to be thankful for, it truly does make life so much better.
and that is my soapbox for the day :)

1 comment:

Dana Marie said...

if you, Kailey, consider yourself a cynic... I'm seriously screwed and much worse off than I thought. haha, glad you're feeling better!